Technical Product Manager
Location: Baltimore, MD
About the Company:
The Venetoulis Institute for Local Journalism is a non-profit news media company launching The Baltimore Banner in the second quarter of 2022. The company is a high-profile, well-funded startup supported by some of the top names in the media industry and has been featured in The Atlantic, Washington Post, New York Times, among others. Solely focused on the Baltimore area, they are creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Their content will extend across the web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite), and video (TV and digital). Their vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
About the Job:
We are looking for a Technical Product Manager to support the Product Team as we build a brand new, digital first news organization for the city of Baltimore. This position will report to the Direct of Product and is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in building product management skills and experience.
Qualified candidates will have experience, either as business analysts, project managers or product managers. In these roles they will have gained experience gathering and writing functional and technical specifications. The ideal candidate will have experience working to develop web and/or mobile applications.
We hope to find someone who can quickly interpret business and customer needs and turn them into compelling solutions. We are looking for a candidate with experience working under tight deadlines and effectively communicating abstract or creative concepts to engineering and design teams, as well as business stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Transform business requirements and engagement needs into high-functioning features and products.
• Work with onshore and offshore engineering teams, managing sprints and agile scrum methodologies of product development.
• Lead projects from conception to completion in accordance with deadlines.
• Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
• Lead product discovery initiatives to understand customer needs and to aid in strategic decision making
• Ask questions, take risks, and champion new ideas.
• A degree in a relevant academic discipline and/or equivalent professional experience.
• Belief in our mission and a commitment to be a part of our innovation and growth.
• Understanding of product backlogs and experience running or participating in Agile sprints with JIRA or equivalent tools.
• Ability to work with stakeholders to understand detailed requirements and determine a plan that will ensure they are met or exceeded.
• The ability to execute and drive impact. You have a track record of shipping products in a highly collaborative environment with a diverse group of partners.
• Strong interpersonal skills to clearly and effectively communicate the creative vision, concepts, ideas, and solutions to stakeholders and internal teams.
• Experience working with engineering teams