Senior Product Manager
Location: Baltimore, MD
About the Company:
The Venetoulis Institute for Local Journalism is a non-profit news media company launching The Baltimore Banner in the second quarter of 2022. The company is a high-profile, well-funded startup supported by some of the top names in the media industry and has been featured in The Atlantic, Washington Post, New York Times, among others. Solely focused on the Baltimore area, they are creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Their content will extend across the web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite), and video (TV and digital). Their vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
About the Job:
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager to support the Product Team as we build a brand new, digital first news organization for the city of Baltimore. This position will report to the Direct of Product and is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in sustainable local journalism and working in a start-up environment.
The ideal candidate is innovative, data-driven, and customer-focused, with product management experience in web and mobile applications. We hope to find someone who can quickly interpret business and customer needs and turn them into compelling solutions. We are looking for a candidate with experience working under tight deadlines and effectively communicating abstract or creative concepts to engineering and design teams, as well as company stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Transform business requirements and engagement needs into high-functioning features and products.
• Work with onshore and offshore engineering teams, managing sprints and agile scrum methodologies of product development.
• Lead projects from conception to completion in accordance with deadlines.
• Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
• Lead product discovery initiatives to understand customer needs and to aid in strategic decision making, including building and deploying user surveys, analyzing usage behavior and data and conducting interviews
• Ask questions, take risks, and champion new ideas.
• A degree in a relevant academic discipline and/or equivalent professional experience.
• Belief in our mission. You have a passion for the news and for making the Baltimore Banner an indispensable resource for the city of Baltimore and a commitment to be a part of our innovation and growth.
• Significant experience as a product manager for mobile or web applications.
• Experience managing product backlogs and running Agile sprints with JIRA or equivalent tools.
• Ability to work with stakeholders to understand detailed requirements and determine a plan that will ensure they are met or exceeded.
• The ability to execute and drive impact. You have a track record of shipping products in a highly collaborative environment with a diverse group of partners.
• Strong interpersonal skills to clearly and effectively communicate the creative vision, concepts, ideas, and solutions to stakeholders and internal teams.
• Experience working with engineering teams.
• Data-driven product development approach.