Location: Baltimore, MD
About the Company:
The Venetoulis Institute for Local Journalism is a non-profit news media company that launched The Baltimore Banner in the second quarter of 2022. The company is a high-profile, well-funded startup that is supported by some of the top names in the media industry and has been featured in The Atlantic, Washington Post, and New York Times, among others. Initially focused on the Baltimore area, Venetoulis is creating a new paradigm for digital-first, cross-channel local media. Content will extend across web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite), and video (TV and digital). The vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
About the Job:
We’re looking for a business-minded analyst to help us use data to achieve our operational & mission-driven goals. You’ll use strong analytical thinking to support decision making & strategy development with stakeholders across Newsroom, Marketing, Product, and Executive teams. In addition to those teams, you’ll collaborate cross-functionally with colleagues in Tech and Project Management to bring analytical rigor to daily operations.
To ensure success, you’ll report to our Data & Analytics Team Lead as well as our Chief Insights Officer to measure and evaluate progress of data & strategic initiatives and operations.
• Assess data and processes for actionable insights and requirements that improve decision-making capabilities for growth or new business recommendations
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams to advise on analytics best-practices
• Write clear and well-structured business requirements, translating business problems into analytics solutions
• Gather and analyze data to support business operations & strategic initiatives
• Create dashboards, reports & other data-driven outputs to translate findings to nontechnical stakeholders
• Establish KPIs to measure the effectiveness of operations & business decisions
• Process large datasets with SQL or other programming languages
Skills and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in business or a related quantitative field
• 3+ years of experience in a related role (BI, analytics, business analyst, etc.)
• Proficiency with Excel & Dashboarding / BI Tools such as Tableau, Power BI, Google Data Studio, etc
• Strong collaboration & clear communication skills
• Ability to translate between technical & nontechnical audiences from various domains
• Innate curiosity, intellectual humility & a growth mindset keen on continuous learning
• Knowledge of SQL
Nice-to-Have (NOT Required):
• Knowledge in financial analysis, forecasting, and budgeting, as well as having a clear understanding of reporting requirements, key success factors, and performance indicators.
• Experience configuring & integrating SaaS platforms such as Google Analytics, Mailchimp, etc.
• Experience with Google Tag Manager & digital analytics tracking implementations
• Interest in business strategy & operations