Senior Director of Marketing & Audience Development
Location: Baltimore, MD
The company is a high profile well-funded startup that is supported by some of the top names in the media industry, including The Lenfest Institute, Mike Bloomberg and Stewart Bainum Jr.
Solely focused on the Baltimore area, they are creating a new paradigm for digital first, cross-channel local media. Their content will extend across web, mobile (app), radio (terrestrial and satellite) and video (TV and digital). Their vision is to be the leading provider of news and lifestyle content in the Baltimore area.
The company is seeking an experienced marketing leader for their Audience Development team. This person will apply their digital marketing & media skill set in a dynamic and fast-growing organization, reporting to the CMO. The ideal candidate leads a highly data-driven team that increases the size of the audience and deepens engagement through a multitude of channels, including SEO, social media, email, and mobile messaging.
• Partner with leadership to understand company mission and translate into marketing objectives.
• Create metrics-driven audience strategies that help the company extend its reach and increase engagement.
• Partner with Editorial, Subscription Marketing, Branding, Product and Analytics to implement effective SEO strategies, newsletter adoption, and engaging social media campaigns.
• Ensure that social media and community engagement managers are working in unison to build and engage audience segments.
• Lead newsletter marketing, ensuring vibrant and profitable growth in email lists, and identify opportunities for newsletter development.
• Partner with newsroom to optimize content distribution/engagement, and evangelize audience development & engagement strategies across the newsroom.
• Responsible for leading and cascading content marketing best practices across the organization.
• Develop, track, and own key performance indicators.
• Lead the selection and implementation of tools, technologies and processes.
• Partner with colleagues in the analytics group to get the data and insights needed to make marketing decisions.
• Hire, develop and manage talent that is aligned with the mission of the organization.
10+ years of experience in digital marketing with preference given to media/content-driven businesses.
Extensive B2C or subscription-based marketing experience.
Advanced knowledge of successful audience segmentation strategies, customer engagement methods, and associated technologies and metrics.
Experience using social media platforms and tools that analyze performance.
Strong grasp of SEO strategy and execution. Ability to drive these efforts via an internal or outsourced team.
Knowledge of newsletter, email and/or CRM marketing strategy and execution.
Experience with loyalty, retention, engagement and/or lifecycle marketing would be extremely helpful.
Knowledge of social media marketing and strategy.
Excellent analytical, creative, and communication skills are essential.
Flexible style of working to be hands-on or/and strategic based on business needs.
High ethics and integrity.
Desire to work in a mission-driven organization.